Approximately one week after the un-mentionable incident recorded in my previous entry, my grandfather checked himself in to hospital and gave me a huge shock when he called me up to tell me where he was.
I was glad I could spend time with him, even though I verily couldn't get anything else done the entire week as I was summoned by the 'adults' to station myself at the hospital, just in case the doctors had updates for us.
His condition was very stable the entire time, and he was very chatty. Though I suspect that having my undivided attention helped raise his spirits a little bit, especially since he has to be on the receiving end every time the 'adults' tell him they are too busy to come. (After the third time it happened, even I was getting sick of hearing it myself. I can't imagine how old folks must feel.)
His mind is still very alert and sharp and I once again came to the realisation that I actually take after him more than I used to think I do. Like him, I cannot be left all by myself with nothing to do :P
During the first night of his stay, he got bored and managed to fix the lock on his bedside table. The next morning when I arrived bright and early, he announced his accomplishment happily to me XD I really don't know how he did it without any of the necessary tools? (That kinda reminded me of the time I fixed our washing machine... :P Hehe..)
Rz seems to have warmed up to him as well, and the both of them even took out their handphones to compare and discuss :) Imagine that! My grandfather turns 85 next January and he can send text messages and make long-distance calls to my uncle's family in China without anyone's help!
It looks like being out of a full-time job has provided me with opportunities to spend more time with my grandfather and listen to all the things he has on his mind. Rz and I were very blessed to be taken into his confidence two Sundays ago (7th December) when he started talking about his very eventful life.
I don't believe that he has shared everything with his children (who are always 'too busy') not even my own father, so Rz and I feel very, very honoured and fortunate because I'm am just one of twelve grandchildren and I am very sure, even Rz will not forget that conversation for a very long time to come.
For me it is especially tender in my heart, not just because I was re-assured of his favour for me, even though that in itself is very precious. Two years ago, as some of you already know the story, I actually interrupted my own studies in Australia to move home and continue the rest of the course via correspondence just to make myself more accessible to two people - my grandfather and Rz :) So, the conversation with the both of them in the hospital ward is going to be a memory of a lifetime for me.
My grandfather also mentioned that lately, he has been updating his diary (see, another thing we have in common!) and he hopes that when he leaves it behind for us one day, we will be able to get it translated and published.
(He also jokes about my horrible understanding of Mandarin hehe.)
I'm not sure if he mentioned he specifically wanted me to do it, but I don't think he has mentioned his diary to anyone else just yet either. I hope though, it really does fall to dad and I to get it published, after all, we are the ones working in this line (dad is in publications and I can get it edited and advice on intellectual property) and we will definitely mobilise all our resources and contacts to see to it and make sure it gets done properly.
Whatever the plans may be, they are just purely ancillary :)
I'm praying we continue to have him in our lives for the longest possible. It is my prayer that he continues to remain in the best health and spirits and live to see all his great-grandchildren :)
- 15 December 2008 2:00pm -
No comments:
Post a Comment